Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cookie Decorating Gone Wrong

Since this Saturday is Valentine's Day, I decided to make some cookies for my students. (I realize at public schools you can't do that, but mine is not a public school. So, I make some sort of treat for my students almost every holiday.) Between the three classes that I teach I have about 50 students. A lot of cookies for one person to bake and decorate if he/she isn't a decorator of food. A friend of mine wanted to help and I was more than willing to let her. You see, artistic talent runs in my family; however, mine doesn't quite work in the same way as others' talents. I have a knack for interior design and abstract art. When it comes to anything else, I'm pretty much a failure. This includes decorating food. I can arrange it and make it look nice, but I can't decorate food for the life of me. And yet somehow my friend ended up doing the baking and I ended up doing the decorating. Let's just say that that finished products were beginning to look rather interesting. So, my friend, who loves decorating food, helped. She did the borders while I decorated the middle since the borders and I had been duking it out and I lost...miserably. The cookies looked like they had split personalities, traditional and abstract. Some of the designs I put in the middle looked like check marks with dots, the number 7, distorted smiley faces, the pox, abstract hearts, squiggles that ended up being too squiggly because my friend made me laugh, plus and minus signs, division and multiplication signs, and pi. Luckily I was able to find 50 that look decent enough to give to my students. The rest I will give to my roommate and coworkers. Hey, as long as it still tastes good as it's going down then who cares what it looks like?

2 comments:

  1. The principle of "taste before looks" works in general, but I must tell you that there are certain food items that I will not eat no matter how good they may taste - they look disgusting. Kudos to you and your friend for abstract Valentines cookies! Will you make a treat for Mardi Gras as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure were good!! Even the smashed ones.

    ReplyDelete