Monday, February 9, 2009

The Obvious Winner


So, I live about a 10-minute drive away from where I work. Everyday I pass the university and all the students heading to their classes. Several of the students have chosen to use a bike as a means of transportation. Kudos to them. I mean it's a great workout, it's faster than walking, and it's cheaper than having a car. I personally could never do it for two reasons. The first reason being I got in an accident as a kid and have only ridden a bike once since then. The second reason being that bicyclists share the roads with giant machines of death. I mean, seriously, these students ride their bikes on the side of the road and only have about 2 feet between them and the car next to them. Sometimes it gets even closer, like on trash days when people have their bins out on the street and the bicyclists have to maneuver their way around them. And then you add snow and ice to the whole mixture and it makes for one violently catastrophic mess. No way. If I didn't have my car I would rather walk than ride a bike. It takes longer, but at least I'm on the sidewalk away from the cars (not including freak accidents where cars can and do end up on the sidewalks). I wouldn't want to risk it because the car would win every single time.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!!
    Plus, maybe I'm mean but I get a little bugged when bicyclists ride down the middle of the street..... I just want to run them over.... yeah i'm a little mean...

    ReplyDelete