Monday, June 28, 2010

Crappy Computers

So, I really hate computers right now (even though ironically enough I'm using one to post this). My laptop decided to go on the fritz last week. REALLY bad timing, by the way because of my MA project that I need to finish immediately. It started slowly and will now no longer boot up. I called tech support and was on the phone with them for about 2 hours, which was bad because it was already 10 pm, I was tired and frustrated, and the guy was just reading prompts (no effort to be personable). We tried all sorts of things, but nothing worked. Finally, the guy said to do a hard disk test which would take over an hour and then to call them back. I did the test, but was so tired and cranky that I decided not to do so. He called back on Friday, but was not in the mood to deal with my computer so I didn't answer. He called back Saturday. I didn't hear my phone, so obviously I didn't answer; however, I knew I needed to call. So I did and had a much better experience. The guy was very friendly, made conversation, and helped me order a recovery disc since nothing else worked. It was done in about 20 minutes or less. So, the disc should be arriving within the next day or two. I'll try it out and if it doesn't work, I'm SO having them send me a new one since it's under warranty. I think that's the most frustrating thing; I haven't even had it for an entire year and it totally died.

Anyways, I just want to say thanks to tech support people who are friendly and care about the customer, or at least are really good at pretending to. It makes the process a whole lot easier on both sides (at least when the customer isn't a big jerk, like some are).

No comments:

Post a Comment